Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tour Time! My Wildlife Adventure...

On Monday and Tuesday, I went on a tour through the Grampians and the Great Ocean Road. The tour company was called Wildlife Adventures, and they run small bus tours weekly. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to see the Great Ocean Road. It would have been hard to see everything on my own without some local knowledge, plus diving on the other side of the road didn't seem like a good idea for me. The first day of the tour we were picked up bright and early at 7:20 am from the hostel and started the journey from Melbourne. All together there were maybe twenty people on the tour. After Byron Bay, having a much smaller group was important to me because the large group during Byron really took away from the experience. We made several short stops along the way our itinerary included:
  • Spotting wild Koalas at Kennett River Park, where I saw my first wild koala
  • Lunch at a restaurant called Iluka in Apollo Bay 

  • Otway's Rainforest walk where we saw one of the world’s only black carnivorous snails 

  • Twelve Apostles 

  • Loch Ard Gorge 

  • London Bridge

  • Bay of Martyrs

  • Overnight stay at Ned's Other beds in the Grampians

  • Tour/hike in the Grampians National Park

  • Boroka & Reed's Lookout (on top of the mountains)
  • Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre where we learned about the history and culture of the Jardwadjali and Djab Wurring Aboriginal tribes.
  • MacKenzie Falls, the largest waterfall in the Grampians
  • "Jaws of Death"lookout
  • Winery tour at one of Australia's oldest wineries - Best's  Winery
This trip was absolutely amazing and worthwhile. My favorite part was seeing the twelve apostles. They are limestone rocks carved out of cliffs along the beach. Watching the waves and the crazy weather combined made it a really unique experience. I watched the sky turn from blue and sunny to dark and grey, then even got caught in a hail/ rain storm and got soaking wet, then back to bright and sunny- and after the rain came a rainbow! Actually, we saw about four rainbows it was incredible. There are so many beautiful places in the world. I hope someday to go back again it was an amazing moment in my trip. I hope everyone had a good week back home and enjoy the pictures!

The start of the Great Ocean Road journey







The Twelve Apostles


Bay of Martyrs

London Bridge


On to the Rainforest
View from the top
View of the Valley


MacKenzie Falls Waterfall- the largest in the Grampians



Wild Kangaroos
"Jaws of Death" lookout



2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    It’s a beautiful shot.simple but full of meaning, zen photography .. I really like this.

    Morocco group tours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am just learning to use my camera which I purchased before the trip, the views are so much more incredible in person, but trying to capture them is always fun! I will have pictures from Sydney, Australia soon, thanks for reading!

      Delete